A lovely accent tree with beautiful green leaves that are flecked with white with pink edges, turning copper in fall; distinctive, smooth, silver bark; leaves may burn in prolonged direct sun or drying winds; give it lots of room to grow and look its best
Tricolor Beech has attractive deciduous green foliage edged in pink with hints of white throughout the season. The serrated pointy leaves are highly ornamental and turn an outstanding coppery-bronze in the fall. Neither the flowers nor the fruit are ornamentally significant. The smooth silver bark is extremely showy and adds significant winter interest.
Tricolor Beech is a dense deciduous tree with a shapely oval form. Its average texture blends into the landscape, but can be balanced by one or two finer or coarser trees or shrubs for an effective composition.
This tree will require occasional maintenance and upkeep, and is best pruned in late winter once the threat of extreme cold has passed. Deer don't particularly care for this plant and will usually leave it alone in favor of tastier treats. It has no significant negative characteristics.
Tricolor Beech will grow to be about 30 feet tall at maturity, with a spread of 20 feet. It has a low canopy with a typical clearance of 4 feet from the ground, and should not be planted underneath power lines. It grows at a slow rate, and under ideal conditions can be expected to live to a ripe old age of 120 years or more; think of this as a heritage tree for future generations!
This tree does best in full sun to partial shade. It does best in average to evenly moist conditions, but will not tolerate standing water. It is not particular as to soil type or pH. It is somewhat tolerant of urban pollution, and will benefit from being planted in a relatively sheltered location. This is a selected variety of a species not originally from North America.
- Mature Height: 30 feet
- Mature Width: 20 feet
- Sunlight: Sun, Part Sun
- Soil Conditions: Moist (Typical)
Plants are constantly growing, ever-changing, and therefore unique. The plant you receive may vary from the photo, but rest assured, it holds the same glorious potential!
We deliver outdoor plants within a zone around the Chicagoland. As plants are perishable, we take care to deliver them by hand using our own vehicles.
- Delivery zone includes the North Shore Suburbs North up to Winthrop Harbor and Wauconda; North Side of Chicago to downtown and Southwest to Oak Park. See here for a list of zip codes.
- For plant material not planted by Chalet, there is a 1-year, 50% merchandise credit guarantee.
- To add Chalet's Planting Service, standard pricing is 50% of the plants' retail price. (minimum planting fee is $75)
- Right now, our normal delivery fee of $50 is waived for orders over $250.
- Fees do not include tree or stump removal.
- Larger orders may require separate labor quote. Plantings carry a 1-year full guarantee. However, there is no guarantee for container or planter plantings as they are difficult to overwinter.
No-contact Curbside Pickup
We offer free in-store pickup at our retail store at 3132 Lake Avenue in Wilmette, IL. Orders usually take about 4 hours to prepare. You will receive an email when your order is ready for pickup. Once you receive this email please pick up the items within 72 hours.
Returns accepted within 14 days by replying directly to our order confirmation email. Refunds issued only in original form of payment.